HUET, Rev. THOMAS, D.D., the Welsh Biblical scholar was born in 1544, and was educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, where he took his B.A. degree in 1562. He became Master of the Holy Trinity at Pontefract, and on its dissolution received a pension. On the 20th November, 1560, the Queen gave him the living of Trefeglwys. From 1562 to 1588 he was precentor at St. David’s Cathedral. He was a strong Protestant. He signed the thirty-nine articles in the Convocation of 1562-3, and in 1571 dismissed, the Roman Catholic sexton at St. David’s for concealing Popish Mass books. These books he publicly burned. Bishop Davies, of St. David’s, in 1565, recommended him for the Bishopric of Bangor, but though supported by Parker he failed to obtain it. He, however, received the rectories of Cefnllys and Dyserth, in Radnorshire, and about the same time the degree of D.D. was conferred upon him. Huet died on the 19th August, 1591, and was buried at Llanafan Church, Breconshire, from which the author of Llyfryddiaeth y Cymry conjectures that he may have been a native of that parish, and that it was the burial place of his family. He himself resided for some time, it appears, at Aber Dihoew, near Builth. He was one of the translators of the Greek Testament into Welsh, which was published by William Salesbury in 1567, the portion done by him being the Book of the Revelation, to which his initials, T.H.C.M., that is. Cantor Meneviae, are attached.
Taken from: Montgomeryshire Worthies (1894) by Richard Williams