Education

Timeline:

1749 – Bishop of Bangor survey, “Are there any schools?” “No”
1772 – David Williams, conducted a circulating schoool, Cae Child, Trefeglwys
1773 – Madam Bevan Walsh Welsh School, at Tynwtra, Llawryglyn (supervised David Williams)
1797 – Berthlas Farm Sunday School
1806 – school at Argoed founded
1817 – school at Argoed ceases
1817 – schools at Penddol, Nantygelynen
1819 – school ceases at Nantygelynen
1819 – schools at Oerle and Clap
1821 – village school at Trefeglwys Church Tower, with funding from the Madam Bevan Trust (until 1854)
1823 – Gleiniant chapel and school opened
1840 – private school opened at Pantyglyn
1847 – Blue Books
1864 – school at the Methodist chapel, Waen
24 November 1864 – completion of the rebuilding of the church
1865 – National School built, after fundraising through the church
1865 – Gleiniant British School built
8 January 1866 – National School opened
8 January 1866 – Gleiniant British School opened
2 November 1869 – school opens at Llawryglyn (short lived)
24 March 1871 – first Trefeglwys School Board elected
May 1873 – Board School, Llawryglyn opened
1881 – National School becomes Board School
1882 – school becomes Country Infant School
7 January 1884 – school moves to Gleiniant Board School
7 January 1884 – Board School (was National School) at current location closes
11 February 1884 – new Board School opens
1898 – first Welsh lessons
2 April 1906 – school is renamed The Trefeglwys Village Council School
November 1908 – school renovations
March 1909 – school has running water

Comments
One Response to “Education”
  1. Mary says:

    William Jones (Cwmbernant and Bwlchyfan) was a member of the School Board at Llawryglyn. His attendance at the board meetings are recorded in his diary of 1872. Some of his diaries and other papers can be found in the national Library of Wales.

Leave A Comment